To create relevant and meaningful data-driven solutions for the country, this course intends to introduce a human-centered approach in solving problems, that is, Design Thinking. Using the available online materials, discussion boards, and webinars, the course offers learners a detailed discussion of the Design Thinking framework which is composed of modes, methods, and mindsets. The course zooms in on the Empathize and Define modes for learners to effectively scope the needs of the intended audience for their Analytics projects and to properly frame the right problem to solve for the same intended audience. The course also details the mindsets that learners need to develop to conduct Design Thinking. The ultimate goal is for the learners to effectively scope and frame Analytics projects that are not just data-driven but also human-centered.
Note to SPARTA scholars: Upon enrollment, you will have 6 months to finish a SPARTA course. Failure to complete the course in 6 months and/or inactivity for 3 months will result in course access revocation.
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of this course, the learners are expected to:
- recognize the fundamental principles of Design Thinking in order to understand how solutions should not just focus on the business and technical aspects but that solutions should also consider the real needs of the intended users;
- effectively execute the Empathize and Define modes of the Design Thinking process in order to correctly and properly scope and frame their Analytics projects; and
- demonstrate the right mindsets in conducting the entire Design Thinking process to start developing Analytics solutions for the good of society.
Sherwin M. Pelayo
Subject Matter Expert
Week 1: The Design Thinking Approach to Problem Solving
8 Videos | 3 Activities
- Welcome to the course!
- The Principles of Human-Centered Design
- Design Thinking Defined
- The Design Thinking Framework
- Design Thinking for Analytics
- A Preview of Design Thinking in Action (2 Videos)
- Decoding Design Thinking: Word Grid
- Mind Check: Crosswords
- Essay: Problem Solving
Week 2: Empathize – Scoping the Needs of Users
7 Videos | 4 Activities
- Why Empathize?
- How to Empathize?
- Methods Related to Empathize Mode (2 Videos)
- Moving from Empathize to Define
- Empathize in Action
- Decoding Empathy: Word Cloud
- Mind Check: Group Classification
- Exercise: Fact or Bluff
- Essay: Observing vs Interviewing
Week 3: Define – Framing the Right Problem
6 Videos | 2 Activities
- Why Define?
- How to Define?
- Methods Related to Define Mode (2 videos)
- Moving from Define to Ideate
- Define in Action
- Mind Check: Cloze Text and Mind Map
- Essay: Problem statement
Week 4: Ideate, Prototype, and Test – Building the Solution
12 Videos | 2 Activities
- Why Ideate?
- How to Ideate?
- Moving from Ideate to Prototype
- Why Prototype?
- How to Prototype?
- Moving from Prototype to Test
- Why Test?
- How to Test?
- Ideate, Prototype, and Test in Analytics
- Ideate, Prototype, and Test in Action (2 videos)
- Mind Check: Drag and Drop and Group Classifications
- Essay: Building the Solution
Week 5: The Mindsets for Effective Design Thinking
4 Videos | 2 Activities
- The Design Thinking Mindsets
- Design Thinking in Action
- Practicing Design Thinking
- Key Takeaways
- Word Cloud
- Capstone: Design Project