This course is designed to build the capabilities of the learners in acquiring the recommended knowledge and skills in obtaining government information through the FOI Program. It approaches the subject by first giving a comprehensive overview of the basic principles and concepts underlying freedom of information. This is followed by enumerating the legal foundations which safeguard the public’s right to know along with the procedures on how learners can access information through the provisions stipulated in Executive Order No. 2, s. 2016. Finally, the course also offers an online tutorial on how to use the Electronic FOI Portal as an online platform for the retrieval and disclosure of information.
This course is specifically intended for all Filipino citizens to capacitate and help them exercise their right to access information.
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of this course, the learners are expected to:
- understand the principles and concepts underlying freedom of information laws/policies;
- explain the significance of freedom of information;
- build awareness and gain a deeper understanding of their right to access information;
- explain the interplay between the nature of information which is for public consumption and certain categories of information which limit information disclosure;
- familiarize oneself in the process of acquiring government data and information through the FOI Program; and
- identify the relevance of access to information to any other data-related initiatives.